Ernst Trail

4.69 Miles

Trail Description

This trail crosses through a rich array of natural habitats. It is named for Calvin Ernst, who owned the Meadville-Linesville Railroad corridor and donated it to French Creek Recreational Trails in 1996 for trail development. Constructed from 1880 to 1892, the rail line changed ownership in 1891 and closed in 1934 due to increased automobile use. Traversing terrain with imprints of Ice Age glaciations, the trail follows the lush bottomlands of French Creek Valley, the state’s most biologically diverse body of water. From the creek the trail passes through meadow and marsh, hardwood stands and hemlock thickets. There are plans to extend the trail to Conneaut Lake and Bicentennial Park. The new segment will run along Conneaut Marsh, a stopping point for migrating waterfowl and home to bald eagles.

Visit Trail Website